Thursday, February 09, 2017

T2: Trainspotting - Film Review


So unlike many other reviews this film is only just in the cinema. At the moment you would be hard pressed to say you had missed it as it's only just out.

The film follows on from the original Trainspotting (released back in 1996) and looks at the characters we knew and loved from that film. What has 20 years done to them? What has it done to us?

Having loved the original back in 1996 and seeing that in the cinema, I decided to go back with the friend I saw it with and revisit the world inhabited by the drug fueled Scottish kids. Now though they are not kids and what is perfect is that this is a sequel with the original cast but and it's not forced to happen a few years later, riding on the success of it. The more modern desire to make sequels worried me going into this film but my fears were alleviated very quickly. The reason this film works is not only because of the success of the first but also the nostalgia and reverence that we placed on it.

My friend was unsure there was enough backstory for a newer audience to enjoy this, although it does throw in scenes and clips as flashbacks to the film. Not many that you feel they are forced, but they are lovingly added as almost a memory that is hazy in your mind. You know it happened but did you remember it quite right?

The film is very different from the original with the focus of drugs and that life style being left mostly in the past. However looking at the 4 main characters they do all have a wildly different trajectory because of the outcome of the first movie. It picks up that thread of what can 20 years do to a person and their friendships.

This is a fantastic story and fantastic film and I am loathed to talk too much about the events that take place in the film as that really is what makes it as good as it is. This film more than any I have seen before really turn the emotions inwards as it really makes you consider what you were doing 20 years ago. When we came out of the screening, it made me think what would 18 year old me think of where I ended up. I had hopes of making films, music and working in radio and while I have to some extent done those things, none of it hits the desires of the 18 year old version of myself. I am not upset about where my life ended up, but it really sparked an internal conversation of what each day can mean that flashes past and what reflection on your own life can truly highlight that you have or haven't done.

A criticism I would put to it is not really a criticism at all, but because 20 years ago these actors were arguably still all starting out and unknown there was no part of me that watched it and thought "That's Ewan McGregor". This time around they are all very recognisable because of the work they have done over that 20 year period. Robert Carlyle is Begbie through and through, but he is also now Rumplestiltskin (from AMC's TV Show "Once Upon a Time") and Jonny Lee Miller is Sherlock from CBS's Elementary.

The other observation we had between us on leaving the cinema was the fact it felt more mature in every way, not just that they are older. Danny Boyle has now made many great films, but looking at the style of Trainspotting to T2, there is a more professional and well crafted feel to the whole thing. It made it even more perfect as you can see that there is a growth in every aspect of this project.

This film is now in contention as one of my favourite films and I think it is better than the first for many reasons, mostly that the nostalgia factor for the first is really well constructed and handled beautifully and it does not feel like a sequel and definitely not forced. The genuine passing of time for me makes this a new film and not a sequel as it stands alone for it's own new merits. Many reviews I have seen are praising it and I agree wholeheartedly with that sentiment but I would be interested to see what someone who has not seen Trainspotting or only saw it more recently and does not have the growth connection of the film makes of it. How do they feel about it? I expect they will like the film as it is a very well produced, but the connection people like myself will have can not be replicated by just enjoying the films if you watched them later in their life cycle. I am not trying to diminish others enjoyment and hope people do see it (there were 6 people in the cinema at 21:10 (9pm) on a Wednesday night showing of a fairly new film) but I enjoyed having Trainspotting as a distant memory and seeing this spark memories about that film and my own personal 20 year journey between the two.

No comments: